Change can be scary, even when you expect it

In a departure from my normal ranting and raving: I'd like to annouce that my wife and I are expecting our first child. Early in October we'll have a crying, pooping dribbling thing to take care of :). Okay so babies are cute though. I've never been a real fan of kids but I'm already starting to realize that ones own children are somehow less disgusting and annoying than the normal ones. I'm actually very happy about it :).

Of course I'm a little nervous too. How does one take care of another human without the little guy or girl (we don't know yet) needing years of therapy after they are grown and out of the house? I suppose I get to learn!

A small rant since it wouldn't be the Anti-Blog without it. We are NOT naming our kid some kind of trendy yuppy soccer mom name. This would include any name with a long "i" sound and then spelled some ridiculous way. Skylar? Jordyn? Kytlyn? Can I buy a vowel? (yes we knew parents who named their children with these exact names). If we have more than one we're also not going to name them all with the same first letters or names that rhyme. We knew a family that had 5 kids all starting with the letter J .. I don't remember them all but I seem to recall them spelled ridiculous ways as well. Seriously these are the kids that are going to need therapy :).

We're thinking Nathaniel James for a boy or Rachel Lynn for a girl. Jen wants a biblical name. "James" was my grandfather's name (dad's side) ... Jen's grandmothers are "Rachel" and "Carolynn" respectively. But we shall see, we may change our minds a dozen times before now and then! :)

Comments

Amanda said…
I'd hate to see where Caedmon Jeremiah and Presley Claire land on the trendy name scale. ;)

Congrats! You're in for the most frustrating, scary, life altering, amazing, wonderful journey of your lives!
cfreak said…
Thanks amanda! No those names aren't bad... they are spelled like they sound and they are also unique which is a plus.

To be trendy it would need to be something like "Caedmyn Jeremyah" and Preslii Clayre " or something equally annoying :-D
Anonymous said…
correction Christ - those would be the hick way of spelling them.
Anonymous said…
Bible names are good.
How bout "Jezebel" or "Hagar"?
or for a boy...
"Methuselah" or "Nimrod"?
cfreak said…
haha ... well I'm afraid those names my really put a wrench in my desire to keep my child out of therapy. Still "Nimrod" has a great ring to it ... I doubt Jen will agree :)
Anonymous said…
Congrats -- and remember as Shakespere said, "A rose by any other name smells as sweet." You all have fairly common names. Care to elaborate on your need for therapy?

Popular posts from this blog

Wedge Issues: "Mosque" in Lower Manhattan

Wedge Issues: On God and Country

Life, Anti-Blogs and New Projects