We know what you stand for now DO something about it!

Lots in the news about abortion again lately and it was not my intent to comment again. If you've not read the Anti-Blog before you should probably check out my earlier post about my own views of abortion.

National Pro-Life T-Shirt Day is apparently right around the corner. I knew nothing about this until I heard it on the radio this past week. Certainly people wishing to do this have every right to express their views. I also harbor no ill-will against any person who considers themselves to be pro-life. I understand the point of view and for the most part I agree with it, again for my views read my previous post :).

That said I think there is a real problem with this kind of action. Specifically it rails on what you are against and offers no solution to the underlying problems. So I'll offer some: free birth control to prevent the problem in the first place. Education and mentors for people in poor families (costs money) where most of these problems occur. To help prevent the problem and even after children are brought into the world to help prevent those children from falling into the same cycle. Free child care for these same families and finally adoption for the kids that families simply can't keep.

So here's my challenge: are you willing to adopt an unwanted child? Are you willing to work with teen mothers to get their education? Are you willing to donate money to programs designed to prevent the problem? Are you willing to set aside some of your principles for the greater good (i.e. birth control instead of abortions)?

How about a step further ... do you support the death penalty? Isn't that just as bad as supporting abortion?

See the trouble is a t-shirt inflames the political debate. It doesn't solve the problem, and a lot of social work has to be done to solve it. Preventing abortions should be the goal, not political victories. If you're not willing to step outside your comfort zone to do those things ... then leave the shirt at home.

Comments

Jonathan said…
As a "pro-lifer" when I hear the word abortion I don't think of murder. I think of it as denying someone the right to live. I also think of it as someone trying to escape personal responsibility of their own actions. I also don't look through the lens of social or economic classes. Higher education doesn't mean someone will not get an abortion. We can educate poor people all day, but that won't prevent abortions. And contraceptives are widely available for people to use (which is good), but people still get pregnant and have abortions.

The government has poured billions into child and family services but I guess abortion is just easier. Despite child and family protective services, welfare, mediscare, medicaid, foster homes, people willing to adopt (and they are out there), family members, people still see abortion as the easy way out.

So to answer your questions, I have donated money (through taxes) to support such programs, and I do know people (family and friends) that have adopted. Being a college student it would be impossible for me to adopt, but if I were married and we were unable to conceive we would certainly adopt. You can't really trade abortion for birth control, because birth control is designed to prevent pregnancy. There is nothing really 'designed' to prevent an abortion except the law that was overturned in 1973.

Equating abortion with the death penalty is just plain silly. I support the death penalty for people that have proven that they no longer deserve to live. Serial killers clearly deserve the death penalty. What bugs me is that there are people out there (powerful people) that would not support the death penalty for the mass murderer that ravaged Virginia Tech yesterday. However they would gladly support a woman's right to deny life to an unborn baby. If you're equating the death penalty with abortion then you must think abortion doctors are mass murderers (for hire).

As for the T shirt day...who cares?
It's just a T shirt. No T shirt has ever changed my mind about anything.

On a side note I think the war on poverty has become a quagmire and I think we should pull out.

-Jonathan
cfreak said…
I agree .. however I don't know how responsible it is for someone to have a child that won't be loved ... and how to address rape or the life of a mother that might be otherwise lost?

As for your taxes, they would be higher without abortion, unless you feel the kids should just be out on the street in which case Jesus would like to have a few words with you ;-)

As for the T shirt day...who cares?
It's just a T shirt. No T shirt has ever changed my mind about anything.


Which is exactly my point. People doing something about it might change people's minds.
Cameron said…
A few weeks ago, I was listening to a discussion between Mark Dever, John Piper, and Bruce Ware. At some point someone brought up abortion, and Piper responded that he didn't think any headway would be made against abortion until the father is held responsible (ie. child support or something). He came to the conclusion after talking with a doctor who performs abortions. The doctor basically said that as long as the father gets of scot-free, the mother must be given the same option. Interesting.

The discussion talks about all kinds of other things, but if you want to hear it for yourself, go here and find the resource entitled "Particular Redemption, The New Perspective, and More with John Piper (and Bruce Ware!)". If that link ever stops working, start at 9marks.org.
Starrlett said…
Man, this is such an interesting post... I'm wanting to take some time to digest it and respond, but I'd been ridiculously busy. Let me just say briefly, though, that I'm so glad once again to see you pointing out that "Christian" doesn't necessarily encompass a particular political or social view, and that God is bigger than our human divisions of thought.

Wish you could have been in Denton last night to hear Julia Butterfly Hill speak--'twas quite interesting.

Popular posts from this blog

Wedge Issues: "Mosque" in Lower Manhattan

Wedge Issues: On God and Country

Life, Anti-Blogs and New Projects